Saturday 10 October 2009

What to eat before a long run?

Could I run a marathon? The obvious answer is no.

I'm not dramatically unfit: I swim regularly, can manage the occasional jog and not so long ago managed to run almost a whole 5km (although it was spurred on by the competitive scouser) in what was supposed to be a fun run. But much more than that and I'm struggling. Every year I watch a world famous marathon, sometimes on the TV, sometimes from the roadside, and vow that next year I will apply, develop a stringent training regime and commit myself to finishing in a decent time. So far I've not managed to even apply, let alone the rest. I'm lacking in commitment, especially if I'm committing to going out x number of nights a week, pounding the pavement when I could be in a bar with a nice glass of wine, or on the sofa, or anywhere else warm and lazy.

I'm thinking about this because the dizzy blonde and the birthday girl have just arrived as dizzy is running a half-marathon tomorrow, raising money for a children's hospital which cared for her nephew when he wasn't well. She's currently in the kitchen preparing a healthy and carb-laden last supper, whilst the birthday girl and I sip wine, eat nachos and hummus and plan fajitas for tea later. She's frankly putting us to shame, both now, and when she got up last weekend when we were stumbling around with hangovers, and went for a run and a swim. Birthday girl and I will be in support tomorrow, stickered-up and waving and shouting and encouraging her on her way round the course but it's not really the same, is it?

Maybe she'll return the favour if I ever get my arse into gear. Something tells me it could be a long wait... In the meantime, good luck dizzy - we'll see you at the end for a celebratory drink.

1 comment: