Monday 23 November 2009

There is no God

I've been meaning to write for ages, but things keep getting in the way, as they do. Maybe my commitment is lacking. Maybe I've other things to do. Whatever the reason, I haven't updated this for a while. This is neither the result of extreme excitement nor extreme boredom - the last couple of weeks have just been life, going out, getting on, stuff happening, how you expect life to be.

And then something happens that turns it all on its head. This morning was a normal monday morning, and just after 11am I was sitting having a slice of cake with some of my friends as is our want on monday mornings. And then the brunette gets a phone call with some dreadful news of an accident and the death of a colleague and a friend, except he's more than a friend to me. And as soon as I hear his name I know it's the worst of news. And the world stops. Shock is overwhelming. I can't take it in. My eyes prickle and fill with tears and other than repeating "I don't believe it", I can't speak. My mouth hangs slack, and I stare into space for the rest of the day which seems like an eternity of tightening throat, hot eyes, tears rolling down my cheeks and incomprehension.

How can this have happened to him? Why? Things like this don't happen to people I know. A man with his life ahead of him. The father of two young boys. A man who served his country. Things like this happen in the paper, to other people, something you skip over on page 5, thinking how very sad it is, and getting on with life. Except today, it's not just sad, it's devastating, and it feels like a heculean effort to get on with life.

We tried. I have the best friends and they all wanted to make sure I wasn't alone tonight and eventually, the brunette and I went for a bottle of wine and we toasted and talked of him and another who had died too young. It wasn't the normal MNC, but normal doesn't seem right today.

So, life isn't fair. There is no God. The good die young. Endless cliches. But they're cliches because they are true.

In the meantime, R.I.P Nick. A good guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment