Wednesday 9 December 2009

The birthday

So, the week leading up to my birthday wasn't quite what I had been expecting. It was hard to muster any enthusiasm for organising celebrations or going out on the sunday, but eventually at the end of the week I got my arse into gear and came up with a plan.

In the meantime I had the rest of the week to get through, notably the evening I should have been going out with he who is no longer here. It's fair to say that I struggled through that night, having agreed with miss sunshine that I shouldn't be at home, but instead should go out to dinner with her. Of course the wonderful things about friends who've known you since a nipper, or those who are the best friends, is that you don't have to explain, they can read you, and so she let me talk, and knew when I didn't want to. It was a relief not to be at home with my thoughts.

Talking of best friends, the birthday girl, from here on in to be known as the BF, travelled to town from the east on the friday and we headed to a Thai bar/restaurant near my work to join the brunette, scouser, saffa and others for a couple of drinks. My boss, the saviour, got the ball rolling by buying us both a couple of long island iced teas, the first of which can only have included the merest dash of coke; we choked as we sipped them, but managed to finish them off fairly quickly. A mai tai, a woo woo, another mai tai and another woo woo followed, and then more and then we lost count and the night started to get hazy. The BF and I took it upon ourselves to keep number one and the man who can updated with our evening by way of texts and calls. She went to extremes when deciding that she couldn't hear the man who can and so elbowed the fire alarm in order to hear him better... Not sure of the logic there, but the result was the emptying of the bar and restaurant with the exception of our group who stayed at our table, sipping our drinks as the staff politely tidied up around us. I fear we won't be going back there for a while.

The next morning was a haze of flashbacks as we pieced the night together, occasionally prompted by a text or a call. When the man who can messaged to ask where it was again that I lived, it transpired that invitations had been flung out to all to come on down and take part in the rest of the birthday weekend. The harsh light of morning made us realise that there simply weren't enough beds in my home, and so the BF and I stuck to the original plan of football with mr bump (a 5-3 win for my team should have been considerably more decisive than it was), X-Factor (looky-likey's looky-likey has made it through to the final) and then a late lunch followed by bubbles in the city on sunday. Not the weekend I would have envisaged a couple of weeks ago, but a good weekend nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment